Question about RAM

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Question about RAM

So, I work with computers. Custom systems. We get parts from places at a reasonable price, and sell the system for a higher price.

And, I've encountered lots of errors and stuff while doing this [been at it for over 3 years now]. Most of them are related to RAM. I replace the RAM, and it gives some other error on most occasions. Most of the time, the Motherboard has a RAM which has IC on both sides. When I replace that with a RAM with IC on ONE side, it works perfectly well.

So, my question is. Is there a name for the two different type of RAM? If they do, are there differences between the two?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

IC = Integrated Circuit
  • Well what Ive learned to far is that there Is ROM AND RAM (MAYBE THIS CAN HELP)

ROM= read only memory
    • cant change the information inside it
    RAM= random acces memory
    • contains currently open/running programs/ files

Also GUI can be a problem too.

GUIcan be called goeey and it can be easily remembered by WIMP:

Windows the computer system
    Icons are little images that you can see
    Monitor
    Pointer is like something that points stuff

Also some examples are WINDOWS XP, MAC OSX

GUI can take a lot of RAM so it can be a problem
  • matiassing wrote:

Well what Ive learned to far is that there Is ROM AND RAM (MAYBE THIS CAN HELP)

ROM= read only memory
    • cant change the information inside it
    RAM= random acces memory
    • contains currently open/running programs/ files

Also GUI can be a problem too.

GUIcan be called goeey and it can be easily remembered by WIMP:

Windows the computer system
    Icons are little images that you can see
    Monitor
    Pointer is like something that points stuff

Also some examples are WINDOWS XP, MAC OSX

GUI can take a lot of RAM so it can be a problem
    No offense, but you sounded like my IT teacher. Explaining shit's to it's detail. Like pointer and os.

If you're angry, don't break anybody's heart, they only have one..... Break their bones, they have 206 of them
  • its alright I learned this from my IT teacher so he wants me to remember everything he says and when there is a test I just need to put the exact thing he said so it is really annoying
  • ROM does not equal RAM.

The types I know about are DDR2 and DDR3. I'm not that read up about different types of RAM though so I don't know if there's a regular DDR or if there are any other, nor do I know the specific differences between DDR2 and 3, but you could always look it up.

This IC thing I have no idea. I can only tell differences by reading tags and sizewise between stationary and laptop RAM sticks.

Either way, good luck.
    "I've begun my voyage in a paper boat without a bottom; I will fly to the moon in it."
    "When this paper aeroplane leaves the cliff edge, and carves parallel vapour trails in the dark, we will come together."
  • I was kinda hoping you'd know, Fred xD

But thanks, for the reply.

I know about DDR, DDR2 and DDR3. Also, the frequency and stuff like that too.

Anyways. I found my answer. To any other people looking for an answer;

They are called Single Sided RAM Modules, and Double Sided RAM Modules. With SSRAM having IC on only one side, while DSRAM has IC on both sides.

The difference is, SSRAM cannot usually exceed 512MB and [older] DSRAM can't exceed 1GB.

Thanks to all who replied, and this thread can now be locked :)