How to make a suvirval horror game like Ib ?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• How to make a suvirval horror game like Ib ?

Hey Bros :D

I just got a copy of RPG maker vx ace and I have many ideas to make a surv. horror game but i dont know how to do them. I've read the official tutorials but they are all RPG oriented. i dont have a single clue of how to make enemies, cutscenes or special moments (like the ones where you press Z on Mad Father ). Please Bros, Help ;(
  • bLanK.facE wrote:

they call it "having a brain"
    You use this thing, known as "the brain" to experiment with said programs and get a result.
    Tally-Ho! Trial and Error!
    You know what else goes along with that?
    Some
    then you are set.
    Done that. i have textures, characters but i dont know how to make them do what they are supposed to. A bit insulting answer i think when im just asking for help :/

SirNubCake wrote:

Don't try to mimic the others, make things your own.
    My idea is not like anything i've seen. its kinda "bioshock" or "lost" thing if you want to compare :thumbsup:
  • There's like 1000~ tutorials out there, mate. And please, don't make an exact same copy of miscreant's (lolidk) game. Just be. fuckin. original.
    Oh, and a tips here. The designing, writing, and the making of the concept is HARDER. i mean, HARDER than the making of the actual game. kbai

If you're angry, don't break anybody's heart, they only have one..... Break their bones, they have 206 of them
  • Dandy Dragon wrote:

There's like 1000~ tutorials out there, mate. And please, don't make an exact same copy of miscreant's (lolidk) game. Just be. fuckin. original.
    Oh, and a tips here. The designing, writing, and the making of the concept is HARDER. i mean, HARDER than the making of the actual game. kbai
    i've read them i know how to use the program but i know how to make an rpg not a survival horror :/
  • Sharky wrote:

Do you know game coding, character designing and shit like that?

Or are you expecting someone to make the game for you? At which point you would claim it as your creation?
    I dont know that stuff. As I said, I just got a copy of RPGM and nothing else. I took some textures from the program and some others just googling them. its basicly someone who had a plane crash, discovers the rests of a village and you start invastigating what happend to them. That idea its in various movies and series and kinda bioshock.
  • Okay, so welcome to the world of RPG maker VX Ace :) I'm a rather experienced user of VX, the predecessor to VXA, so I can provide you with alot of useful tips for you :)

Sharky wrote:

If you don't know coding, I think it'll be a tough job for you ._.

Not necessarily, RPG Maker VX/A doesn't have to include coding, there are many different websites that are around that include TONS of scripts. My suggestion to you first of all is to join up to this site is dedicated to the RPG Maker VX Ace engine.

Now, I personally can give you a few tips and tricks for working with RPG Maker VXA right here on this post:

First of all, to create a "cutscene" you need to learn how to event:

Above is an example of an event page used for my game Slenderman's Army, an RPG Maker VX Survival Horror.

It looks rather complex, but it's a lot easier than it looks :)

To create a cut scene, or something that automatically plays when entering a map you need to ensure that the Trigger is set to a Parallel Process. Then you basically just add in your Text etc.

From personal experience, using the RPG Engines for a horror game is a TRICKY task... Ib, Witches House and Dear Father have A LOT of custom event systems some are simpler than others. Each require the knowledge of Variables and Switches. My suggestion to you is to take your time with the engine, don't rush your game. I've been working with the RPG Maker Engine since RPG Maker XP...suffice to say, it's a good number of years experience and I'm STILL learning alot :)

It would take me a LONG time to explain how to do ALOT of what was done in the above horror games. If you do need additional help, and advice then PM me. I don't mind helping you out abit :)

Good Luck

I am an experience musician and available to
    hire for your game projects for more visit my Soundcloudor click here
    PM me for more info
  • Jonnie91 wrote:

Okay, so welcome to the world of RPG maker VX Ace I'm a rather experienced user of VX, the predecessor to VXA, so I can provide you with alot of useful tips for you

It would take me a LONG time to explain how to do ALOT of what was done in the above horror games. If you do need additional help, and advice then PM me. I don't mind helping you out abit

Good Luck
    Thanks a lot. Im downloading your game too. I will check out the forums for more help and i will use scenes from your game as referense to ask advice from you :thumbsup:
  • I'm making a fangame of Ib, so I kind of learnt a little along the way about it...

Ib doesn't use any battles, which you probably read on in your research to making a game. RPG Maker, however, uses a battle system as one of its main components and has it all installed for you. But you're not using it in a survival horror--the system is there, you just don't use it. That's easy enough to do, because the battles only initiate if you program them into the actual game.

You will definitely find the eventing aspect of RPG Maker very useful. Have you learnt about eventing yet? Switches and variables will also be very important in your game, as they control the "quest" part of it. If you go to the layer called "Events" in your game, there will be many preset options for you to program your game--self switches, variables, screen flash, and numerous other possibilities. If you want to create a completely original, fantastic game that includes your own designed menu screens, etc., then you might want to learn scripting. This isn't necessary, though, so no need to worry about that unless you really want to start digging into the RPG Maker world. But eventing is necessary, and you should know all that you can about it before starting a project.

Here is a good site to learn about these things: rmxp.tigerseye.uk.com/

For the creative part, you'll also want to find and upload your desired tilesets that would fit the mood (look it up in the site link I gave you), and to give the game a horror aspect, choose good music, make suspenseful cutscenes, etc. Eventing will be very significant in creating cutscenes, especially the Autorun and Parallel Process options. You'll learn all this along the way in the site given.

Also remember to create a good atmosphere and to broaden your use of the RPG Maker engine without limiting yourself to the resources that come with the product. Search up new tilesets, windowskins, and make your own characters. Be creative and get a good story going. Make the player excited. Don't overdo things, and don't use too many cliched ideas.

If you need any help at all, I'm always here, and I'm no noob to RPG Maker myself.

Good luck with your game!
    This is a signature.
  • I still remember the time my first encounter of VX ACE..
    here is a youtuber making horror survival tutorials..
    but sometimes i ask if its really horror game he is teaching anyways here it is

youtube.com/watch?v=y8UKhc9NSnk
    I'm making a fangame of Ib, so I kind of learnt a little along the way about it...

Ib doesn't use any battles, which you probably read on in your research to making a game. RPG Maker, however, uses a battle system as one of its main components and has it all installed for you. But you're not using it in a survival horror--the system is there, you just don't use it. That's easy enough to do, because the battles only initiate if you program them into the actual game.

You will definitely find the eventing aspect of RPG Maker very useful. Have you learnt about eventing yet? Switches and variables will also be very important in your game, as they control the "quest" part of it. If you go to the layer called "Events" in your game, there will be many preset options for you to program your game--self switches, variables, screen flash, and numerous other possibilities. If you want to create a completely original, fantastic game that includes your own designed menu screens, etc., then you might want to learn scripting. This isn't necessary, though, so no need to worry about that unless you really want to start digging into the RPG Maker world. But eventing is necessary, and you should know all that you can about it before starting a project.

Here is a good site to learn about these things: I'm making a fangame of Ib, so I kind of learnt a little along the way about it...

Here is a good site to learn about these things: http://www.rmxp.tigerseye.uk.com/

For the creative part, you'll also want to find and upload your desired tilesets that would fit the mood (look it up in the site link I gave you), and to give the game a horror aspect, choose good music, make suspenseful cutscenes, etc. Eventing will be very significant in creating cutscenes, especially the Autorun and Parallel Process options. You'll learn all this along the way in the site given.

Also remember to create a good atmosphere and to broaden your use of the RPG Maker engine without limiting yourself to the resources that come with the product. Search up new tilesets, windowskins, and make your own characters. Be creative and get a good story going. Make the player excited. Don't overdo things, and don't use too many cliched ideas.

If you need any help at all, I'm always here, and I'm no noob to RPG Maker myself.

fangame? did you know that kouri doesnt allow fangames ryt?
    i saw one fan game on youtube then after that kouri asked to put it down :thumbdown:
  • Despite some previous posts being unhelpful, I know how hard it is to find what you're looking for when using RPG Maker VX Ace. The tutorials from their website are very limited, so also check the RPG Maker VX tutorials for eventing, as they are very similar and still applicable.

Unfortunately to learn what you want to do in RPGMaker, you have to just hunt around with google. It takes time but it's all there eventually.

I added this to the tutorials section a while a go, it's just a list of stuff I've used while making mine:

Links to RPGMaker VX Ace Tutorials (Applicable to Horror Games)

Edit: Also Mad Father, Misao, Crooked Man, Witch House: They're all made in WOLF RPG Maker. It's a totally different software, so I wouldn't use those games as a base for trying to figure out how to do something.
    In Memory - Alpha test stage

Coming up: Pilot's Story, Caroline's Fall

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kerrima ().

• Kazekage966 wrote:

I still remember the time my first encounter of VX ACE..
    here is a youtuber making horror survival tutorials..
    but sometimes i ask if its really horror game he is teaching anyways here it is

youtube.com/watch?v=y8UKhc9NSnk
    I'm making a fangame of Ib, so I kind of learnt a little along the way about it...

Here is a good site to learn about these things: I'm making a fangame of Ib, so I kind of learnt a little along the way about it...

Here is a good site to learn about these things: http://www.rmxp.tigerseye.uk.com/

fangame? did you know that kouri doesnt allow fangames ryt?
    i saw one fan game on youtube then after that kouri asked to put it down :thumbdown:
    Well, that was someone who contacted him on the subject of making a sequel to the actual game itself. I'm making a game based off of Hetalia: Axis Powers, an anime, titled "Ibtalia", but actually the gallery and the entering into an unknown world is one of the very few similarities. I'm taking the game into a whole other direction.

The person who contacted him was curious about creating a game with the same sprites, the same characters, and continuing off the same general storyline. I'm creating a crossover that really has a story of its own...

So I don't quite see if it's the same thing. However, thank you for bringing it to my attention. :)
    This is a signature.
  • There isn't really a dedicated one afaik. RPGMaker VX Ace does everything you need if you want a 2D game; Unity is pretty good for a 3D game. There the two I know about, but a lot of game makers are generic.
    In Memory - Alpha test stage

Coming up: Pilot's Story, Caroline's Fall