Dealing with depression?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Music, find a playlist or something that you like, maybe on Spotify or something, and listen to it, and block everything out. I personally, would tell my colleague that I wasn't having a good time of it, and that I was gonna zone out with music while I work, although that can't always be possible depending on where you work and such. My main advice though, is to just find good music that you like, and concentrate on something, whether it is a game, or work, or a film. Something that draws your attention away :)
      A smile a day, keeps sadness away!

Come and have a good ol' cuppa with me... You know you want to ...
    • Dude sorry to here you're suffering, I'm bipolar, so I've had my fair share of severe depression and acute anxiety. First off anytime you feel anxious, give sigur ros (an icelandic band) a listen, preferably laying down on your bed for maximum effect. But as for the sadnes and depression, as some others have said, keep poppin dem pillz and keep your mind occupied. To be honest, if its really bad, maybe ask for some time off work and take a trip or plan some things that you enjoy. But whtever you do, don't mope in bed! It's maybe all you'll feel like doing but thats what i did and i ended up stopping eating drinking or even sleeping, I almost ended up on a drip! I aint gonna tell you to get over yourself or stay positive or cheer up as that is likely beyond your current capabilities. but feel free to chat to me any time online as i have a bunch of experience wiv dis shit! Stay strong bro!

Widge out.
    • Been depressed and not that shitty teen depression so I am gonna say. Just have fun, go out with some friends or relax, try not to think about the problem and soon your mind will get it off your head and you will feel better. Thinking about it more and more just makes it worse. I have also been on medication about depression as you have said. The tablets did help I guess but it doesn't solve the problem, at least for me it just covered it up.
      I love ya all ~ :3

• When I'm depressed I find listening to emotional and aggressive music helps to channel out your emotions. It also keeps you controlled, so there's less chance of doing something that you'll regret afterwards. I agree with the others that occupying yourself will keep your mind off bad thoughts.

"If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything."
    • TrueRedRevenge wrote:

Depression is a hard thing to deal with. Sometimes you just have to really...and I mean REALLY push to do something, and once you do, things get better. Find motivation in simple things. When I had some slight depression, I really struggled to do anything, but I tossed myself into new hobbies and activities and I eventually became happier and well-balanced. I know it is one of the toughest emotional states to get through, but all you can do is forge ahead, and really push yourself. Eventually things sometimes sort themselves out.
      Just know that you have a supporting community on this forum, and that you have people that believe in you. (Goes for anyone with depression out there.)

I agree with this... 100%

But also, I just want to add one thing. I've gone through depression but I've never been treated for it (I managed to work through it). I know others who have been treated for it, and who have been placed on anti-depressants and they can really effect you for the worst ... or for the best. I'm sad to say that I recently lost a friend to suicide in August and he was on pills. Some anti-depressants can cause you to have suicidal thoughts, so when I hear that someone is prescribed them, I get scared. Loosing him was the second worst death I've had to experience because it just never seemed possible that he would do it. He was actually doing a lot better on the medication... then one night he just did it.

I'm not saying this to scare you, but to warn you to be careful.
      You may think this sounds crazy, but it's a known fact that this can be increased. So if you feel or think any of these thoughts... please, please get with someone right away. If you don't have anyone in your life you feel like you can turn to, I'll open my arms to you. Depression is a very serious situation, and I'm glad you've sought out for help, but I think if you are not getting any better, getting a higher dosage in your pills isn't the answer. Seeing a therapist or a social worker would be better.

These drugs can be addicting, as well.

I'm sorry if by me saying any of this will offend anyone, as it's not my intention, but I feel very strongly against these type of drugs. Especially with what happened to my friend. He didn't have to die, and he did, and I partly blame the medication.
      Scream and be free.
    • Everyone gets depressed sometimes. I'd be surprised if one person ever said they didn't! For medically diagnosed depression, I'd suggest listening to your doctors. For those random times I get depressed, I try to remember that I'm unlike anyone in the world and have limitless potential, like I could do anything at anytime! It's all just up to me to actually do it. Then I kinda force myself to do something different, fun or unique. Whatever it is that I do usually helps me feel better!
    • My advice? Keeps your mind occupied. play some video games with some good story (half life, legend of zelda, walking dead, cave story,etc) That'll make you keeps thinking. And i also find that chocolate and heavy music could help

If you're angry, don't break anybody's heart, they only have one..... Break their bones, they have 206 of them
    • First off, go to a doctor, since that will most likely give the best answers, and you can start taking medications for the moods.
      Although it may seem crappy, take your pills, EVERY DAMN DAY, no matter what, you miss a dose, take it as soon as you realize it. I found that if you do, the levels don't go down and then you're kinda taking one step forward, two steps back.
      I found with my depression, talking to people really does help, as well as keeping myself busy, especially since that keeps my mind off of things.
      I also tend to sleep a lot when depressed, and it does help a ton.

^^;

"Lefi is lefi
      if someone try to change lefi
      lefi will be mad
      lefi will fak yer shit up"
      Brootal c:

I love Mkerix, more than my Pokemon.<3
    • Dunno,i always depressed,but i don't care being depressed,i would give a advice,dont give a fuck to the feelings of doing nothing been depressed,just od the things and you will get used to stop caring about this thing,if you let your thoughts be depressed,and live taking pills for it,it will never stop.
    • Yes, but Enuo, that's much easier said than done for most. The depression tends to force you to be depressed... hence the name. While being mindful of what is happening is part of getting better, people with depression have altered brain chemistries... many people just can't 'wish' depression away. Many require medications, and for many people the medications really help, for others the medications don't help at all. This is why it is extremely important to find a good doctor to help you through. That being said... psychiatry and psychology are more of an art than a science, and finding a 'good' doctor/therapist sometimes is rather difficult.
    • FunzoGr wrote:

If you have an animal in your house where you live it's a good distraction from your thoughts and all that kind of stuff. xD I know that because I have a dog and whenever I felt sad or something like that my dog always cheered me up, I know for others is like a buddy (a human being) is the best way to go to, but they dont ussualy understand what you're going through or how he can help you out, but a pet for example a dog all he wants is to play with you and I think that's all you need at that moment
      +1

Party your life man.
      check out my youtube channel:
      advises needed =D
    • If you are really down in the dumps, try laughing. Watch some episodes of Whose Line Is It Anyway? People post the full episodes on YouTube, I highly suggest you search them.
      That awkward moment when you realize the picture you choose for your signature isn't there...... :|
    • Hallo! So Im not entirely sure if this helps in anyway but my mom is into natural medicine, homeopathic medicinal studies and such, so Ive come up with a few ideas that may help before your medicine kicks in :
      Exercise: Adrenalin and Endorphin's flood your body when you exercise, and generally make you feel happier after because they give the person a euphoric feeling due to these chemicals your brain produces while exercising. Regularly it will ward off those feelings of depression, reduce stress, improve sleep, and improve self esteem. Not that I think you have any of the three besides depression, but in general, exercising regularly should help you feel better. Any exercise will work.
      Diet: Your diet could also help, eating nutrient rich foods like your veggies, fruit, good carbohydrates(like whole grain bread/cereals and yogurts) meat(not red meat but fish, chicken, turkey), and nuts/seeds will boost cause a calming affect, increase alertness, and will help to balance the chemicals in your brain.
      Social Life: I don't know your life, no how often you get out on a daily basis, but try to hang with a friend often, and just talk and vent, or go to a coffee shop where a band plays, out to eat with some friends, or to a super market and strike up a conversation with someone in the store who is friendly. Being around people is generally going to make you happier because humans are naturally not lone creatures, we need bonding and companionship whether romantically or not. And I think I can speak for everyone, we're all bro's here, if you ever need to vent, I think that anyone would really be nice about it, and just talk, other people may disagree but I think overall, everyone on this site is really nice and friendly, and I don't think you should hesitate to ask anyone who you feel comfortable venting to(of course that's entirely up to you)
      I hope some of this helped and I hope you feel better and happier!!!!!! :)

- Lillian
      ~ KYOUYA OOTORI & INU NO TAISHO ~~I live, love, and breathe Tennis...~

• As a guy with major depressive disorder, I feel your pain, and if I could - I would give you a tight hug. It's a chemicals in your rewarding systems are dysfunctional, so nothing would bring you a happiness and that's why I would suggest you doing something that will make time past faster for two weeks until the medicine will work. Play videogames, read books and etc.