Presents?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• I don't know about you guys, but I don't really see the point of getting big ass or many presents. The idea of getting presents for Christmas is injected into our society by those who produce them, in order for us to buy and consume. I am actually happy that I get little, instead of many things. After all, Christmas is about love, happiness and joy, not about materialistic things. I see people getting IPhones, IPads etc., but I don't get the point. Am I wrong?
    • The point is to show love to your loved ones how you see fit. You may not see the point in buying big gifts but christmas is a time for people to exchange presents to the ones they love. It isn't even a time for mega corperations to take advantage of consumers because everything is hit in a massive sale. Everyone is benefiting from this, especially with the shit economy. £125 kindle fire? Yes, please! My grandma would love that for her reading and browsing the web.

Everything is materialistic from clothes, games, cars, even these heart shaped boxer shorts that I am currently wearing on my head because well...I can alright! DON'T JUDGE MEEEEE!

The love that is put into giving that materialistic gift is the whole point. You receive your present and you feel overwhelmed that someone would treat you to something special. It is the thought that counts as they say. It doesn't even matter if you cut a red piece of paper into a heart and sprinkled glitter on it. The point is that you put thought and love into the gift and gave it through love.

The only thing that is wrong with it is the people who expect things. Christmas is a time of giving, not entitlement.
      There is always time for muffins.
    • I agree that it is a heartwarming thing to give and receive gifts and have a holiday based around that. But I am probably a little more on the side of the OP - Commercialization has practically ruined Christmas for me. Christmas music, decorations, lore have been commandeered and used as the weapons of corporations to stoke the fire of consumer spending. And it gets a bit obnoxious. Does it help the economy? Well, if you are more of a Keynesian economist, you would say yes, but as someone with economic beliefs closer to Austrian economists I would say it is false logic to say that having a consumer spending holiday is good for the economy in the long term. That's one of the great macro follies stemming from Keynes.

In any case, giving to people is nice. But businesses hammer so forcefully this contrived Christmas spirit upon people in their advertising to spur people to spend that it just becomes frustrating and makes the holiday sour, here in America anyway.
    • Angry Bird star war game + angry birds tee
      A new mug (:D), with cocoa and mini marshmallows inside the giftbox, which also has a MINI SHOPPING TROLLEY!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!1
      Lots of chocolate (Cadbury Continental/Roses/Favourites + plus assorted ones from my previous neighbour (she's very nice)
      A mirror (WHY?)
      A topgear poster of the stig
      A wallet. (yay, i already have a perfectly good one already that's 11 years old, WHY?)
      a $120 philips shaver (i don't shave)
      a man shower kit (idk)
      a tennis ball
      a soccer shirt (for soccer practice with team)
      a card + NZ$30
      A milkshake maker + strawberry syrup :D
      More sweets from my bros' gf

iPod touch was first priority, COME ON WOMAN OF THE HOUSE!

Rawr0s wrote:

I agree that it is a heartwarming thing to give and receive gifts and have a holiday based around that. But I am probably a little more on the side of the OP - Commercialization has practically ruined Christmas for me. Christmas music, decorations, lore have been commandeered and used as the weapons of corporations to stoke the fire of consumer spending. And it gets a bit obnoxious. Does it help the economy? Well, if you are more of a Keynesian economist, you would say yes, but as someone with economic beliefs closer to Austrian economists I would say it is false logic to say that having a consumer spending holiday is good for the economy in the long term. That's one of the great macro follies stemming from Keynes.

In any case, giving to people is nice. But businesses hammer so forcefully this contrived Christmas spirit upon people in their advertising to spur people to spend that it just becomes frustrating and makes the holiday sour, here in America anyway.

You have a point. I remember hearing a christmas song, where one of the lyrics were "...and presents on the tree...".

YOU PUT PRESENTS UNDER THE FUCKING TREE!!!

TheIntrovert wrote:

I don't know about you guys, but I don't really see the point of getting big ass or many presents. The idea of getting presents for Christmas is injected into our society by those who produce them, in order for us to buy and consume. I am actually happy that I get little, instead of many things. After all, Christmas is about love, happiness and joy, not about materialistic things. I see people getting IPhones, IPads etc., but I don't get the point. Am I wrong?

Maybe i have been thinking about this the wrong way. We realistically want bigger and better stuff every year, but Christmas is all about the gift of giving, not about the gift of wanting something because it's hip and cool bro.
      Still, i want a new fahking iPod, no matter how sweet that post may sound.

awesome happy face is awesome. Here's the mini shopping trolley.
      Images
      • Photo on 2012-12-25 at 10.33.jpg

98.29 kB, 640×480, viewed 87 times
      "I think we shall call him... STEPHANO."
      Thus, a legend was born. 8)

youtube.com/embed/_GyTPwTKZqQ

Oi! I'm on the new thing called a 3DS!
      Friend Code: 2251-5486-7013

The post was edited 3 times, last by NZ Stephano ().

• Rawr0s wrote:

I agree that it is a heartwarming thing to give and receive gifts and have a holiday based around that. But I am probably a little more on the side of the OP - Commercialization has practically ruined Christmas for me. Christmas music, decorations, lore have been commandeered and used as the weapons of corporations to stoke the fire of consumer spending. And it gets a bit obnoxious. Does it help the economy? Well, if you are more of a Keynesian economist, you would say yes, but as someone with economic beliefs closer to Austrian economists I would say it is false logic to say that having a consumer spending holiday is good for the economy in the long term. That's one of the great macro follies stemming from Keynes.

I don't see this business hammer you are speaking of. Christmas and any other holiday has consumerism in it. We have games because we buy them for ourselves and for others. Money makes the world go round and companies who make these objects we supposedly hate so much need to get paid. Big whoop. People constantly think that some old fart behind a big chair next to a fire place is thinking of the next big scam, or seductive advert to get people to buy things. Well as I said money makes the world go round. But the world in consumer electronics and any form of entertainment isn't as evil and ugly as you probably think. This year has been crap for spending on gifts. Just look at the sales figures and you will see that even now people are spending less. I don't see anything wrong with adverts as the purpose of an advert is to spread awareness of the product you spent time developing. Companies don't crap out iPads and game consoles, they actually spend time in R&D making sure that what they make benefits the consumer.

If you think Christmas is that evil then sure, go sit in your cold, dank room with no festive enthusiasm, while the rest of us go "You know what? Lets just not take things so seriously for once and have fun".
    • Noirproxy wrote:

Rawr0s wrote:

I don't see this business hammer you are speaking of. Christmas and any other holiday has consumerism in it. We have games because we buy them for ourselves and for others. Money makes the world go round and companies who make these objects we supposedly hate so much need to get paid. Big whoop. People constantly think that some old fart behind a big chair next to a fire place is thinking of the next big scam, or seductive advert to get people to buy things. Well as I said money makes the world go round. But the world in consumer electronics and any form of entertainment isn't as evil and ugly as you probably think. This year has been crap for spending on gifts. Just look at the sales figures and you will see that even now people are spending less. I don't see anything wrong with adverts as the purpose of an advert is to spread awareness of the product you spent time developing. Companies don't crap out iPads and game consoles, they actually spend time in R&D making sure that what they make benefits the consumer.

If you think Christmas is that evil then sure, go sit in your cold, dank room with no festive enthusiasm, while the rest of us go "You know what? Lets just not take things so seriously for once and have fun".

And where do you suppose money comes from? Those, who retrieve it, each time we purchase.
    • TheIntrovert wrote:

And where do you suppose money comes from? Those, who retrieve it, each time we purchase.

You make it sound like we don't have a choice when buying gifts. Many people like to throw money around. My family have always liked to spoil each other but that is because we have all become successful in our chosen fields. My Grandad was the head of the biggest printing company in York, my dad is an incredibly successful real estate agent and I became a very well established children's book illustrator. We have that money to throw around and thus like to spend it on each other. Nothing really wrong with that as it is better than spending it on ourselves, which we rarely ever do.

There is nothing stopping you from not buying presents and I'm sure your loved ones wouldn't think any different of you if you didn't. That is why we as a race are so great because we can choose to express our love for family and friends how we see fit. If people want to spoil each other then so be it. If not then yeah do that too. :)

• If you think Christmas is that evil then sure, go sit in your cold, dank room with no festive enthusiasm, while the rest of us go "You know what? Lets just not take things so seriously for once and have fun".

that's a bit of a sudden and perplexing backlash
      I don't mind other people having fun, obviously. but since we are discussing how individuals feel about Christmas presents, I feel entitled to explain why I don't really like what the practice has turned into

Noirproxy wrote:

Well, companies advertise extremely heavily around Christmastime. I don't mind advertising, and of course I don't mind companies selling things, but when it is as focused and as constant as it is during the Christmas season, it's off-putting. It's impossible to go out and not encounter businesses everywhere pushing their wares with a justification of holiday cheer.
      I think you don't necessarily understand where I'm coming from, if you think I don't understand the purpose of advertising, or expenses of companies. Having studied a good deal of economics, I quite understand all of this. But I personally find it much harder to enjoy the paraphernalia of the Christmas season, which I certainly would like to enjoy, because of all the heavy commercialization of everything. of course, the people who don't mind it all are lucky that that is their temperament and they will have a better holiday season than I do; but I doubt I am alone in being someone who is turned off by all the commercialization of Christmas.
    • Rawr0s wrote:

that's a bit of a sudden and perplexing backlash
      I don't mind other people having fun, obviously. but since we are discussing how individuals feel about Christmas presents, I feel entitled to explain why I don't really like what the practice has turned into

Noirproxy wrote:

Well, companies advertise extremely heavily around Christmastime. I don't mind advertising, and of course I don't mind companies selling things, but when it is as focused and as constant as it is during the Christmas season, it's off-putting. It's impossible to go out and not encounter businesses everywhere pushing their wares with a justification of holiday cheer.
      I think you don't necessarily understand where I'm coming from, if you think I don't understand the purpose of advertising, or expenses of companies. Having studied a good deal of economics, I quite understand all of this. But I personally find it much harder to enjoy the paraphernalia of the Christmas season, which I certainly would like to enjoy, because of all the heavy commercialization of everything. of course, the people who don't mind it all are lucky that that is their temperament and they will have a better holiday season than I do; but I doubt I am alone in being someone who is turned off by all the commercialization of Christmas.

It wasn't a backlash but more of an attempt at jokey sarcasm.

I wasn't questioning your understanding of advertising either but rather adding that information to the conversation for those who might not, which I guess could have been you seeing as I don't know you personally :D

I don't know really, I just get an annoying itch from people who complain about things like this (Not in a negative way as everyone is entitled to their own opinion). I am someone who sees things as "We see and hear what we want to make us happy" I personally don't like valentines day as I see that as more of a consumer holiday than christmas. Thus why I ignore it and don't contribute to it as me and my girlfriend have more than one valentines day a year. Christmas on the other hand has an actual meaning behind it kind of like New Years. Also christmas music has always sucked but then again that is modern times for you :(
    • The point in presents isn't about getting... it's about giving. I love giving gifts - even if I get so little or nothing in return. For instance, my family and I just exchanged gifts. Total with all their gifts - I spent about $500. What did I get in return? I got two charms to add on to a charm bracelet my sister made me, and a gift card. That's all and I cold have cared less if I got anything at all. I don't buy them iPads, or iPhones, or laptops... I buy them things that they would like because their interested in it. My sister is interested in photography so I bought her a lens, filters, and a camera t-shirt. My brother in law hates getting gifts so I bought something for him that both he and his son can enjoy together. I like to see people smile, and I like to buy them things. Watching my nephew get so excited just to rip the paper off of his toys was enough to last me for a long time.

While people are greedy, or selfish around this time of the year - it's important that you don't let the greed itself consume you. As long as you celebrate the holiday for the true meaning - nothing else matters.
      Scream and be free.
    • LoveStrength wrote:

The point in presents isn't about getting... it's about giving. I love giving gifts - even if I get so little or nothing in return. For instance, my family and I just exchanged gifts. Total with all their gifts - I spent about $500. What did I get in return? I got two charms to add on to a charm bracelet my sister made me, and a gift card. That's all and I cold have cared less if I got anything at all. I don't buy them iPads, or iPhones, or laptops... I buy them things that they would like because their interested in it. My sister is interested in photography so I bought her a lens, filters, and a camera t-shirt. My brother in law hates getting gifts so I bought something for him that both he and his son can enjoy together. I like to see people smile, and I like to buy them things. Watching my nephew get so excited just to rip the paper off of his toys was enough to last me for a long time.

While people are greedy, or selfish around this time of the year - it's important that you don't let the greed itself consume you. As long as you celebrate the holiday for the true meaning - nothing else matters.

This is basically an excellent example of why we buy gifts. You get my Mega Muffin of Awesomeness!