Face cam?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Hey bros!
    So I've been thinking...
    I have my own channel, it's growing very very slowly and I'm trying my best but..
    I was wondering if I should face cam while recording my videos just like Pewdiepie?

It's a fact that I'm a 17 year old short Asian girl and so i don't feel confident showing my face around because I'm worried that it may be a contributing factor on whether people will watch me play or not.. I have braces on and I wear glasses, although I can wear contacts.

If you guys were viewing one of my videos with a face cam of a small asian girl wearing glasses with braces playing games, would you still continue to watch? Would you unsubscribe and make bad comments about it?

I do believe my visual image is not that great.. :(

So.. To face cam or not to face cam?
    I would really love the support and feedback from fellow bros :)
  • Hey!

Firstly, you're in New Zealand? :O lol haha
    Well I understand what you're saying with the lack of confidence showing your face and stuff, it is up to you to whether or not you should put on face cam.
    But I suggest you should do it because it will increase your confidence and that will help you a lot.
    When I first create my channel, I wasn't sure if I should do it and I have a webcam so yeah.
    It was strange and awkward for me but now I just do not care and go through with it.
    One time,I was recording my video straight after I woke up :P
  • Don't worry about what you look like on YouTube or in real life. I know it's easier said than done, but trust me...character and personality (cliche, I know) prevails ALWAYS!

As for your question: your decision should be based solely on safety, not how you believe people would treat you.

There are some awful humans out there who WILL tease, bully and troll, especially on YouTube. Some might unsubscribe because of who you are; others will not subscribe for the same reason. Discrimination is something you'll have to get used to not only on YouTube, but in life.

It all really depends on YOU. Do you want to deal with the inevitable, or would you rather spare yourself from any hate?

All that said, there are some awesome people out there who will support you regardless! I'm sure there are people out there who will subscribe to you just because you're a young Asian girl who loves gaming.

If you feel safe showing your face, and think you can deal with the occasional hater, do it!

Good luck! :)
    Keep your expectations low and we'll get along just fine. FriendlyGreek.tv
  • I am 26 years old, I've worn glasses all of my life. I have a baby face so I look like I'm 16 and I have a big mole on the left side of my face. Still every episode I record I go on camera and I show confidence. I personally think it would be great for your confidence. There will be a couple people who are complete assholes. Just ignore them. You know why? Because they are probably more self conscious about themselves than the person on camera, so in order to make them self feel better they make fun of others.

Be yourself, enjoy what you do. Don't think so much about what other people think. If people unsubscribed because of little things like these then I would have zero subscribers. They are there for the content, adding a camera adds a personal touch, it allows them to get to know you better.
  • ScottMasonGames wrote:

There will be a couple people who are complete assholes. Just ignore them. You know why? Because they are probably more self conscious about themselves than the person on camera, so in order to make them self feel better they make fun of others.

I disagree with the point that you think they are probably more self conscious. Usually and sadly it is often they, of all people ,who are ugly themselves that are judging others and writing hate comments. Self confident people in my opinion usually don't feel the need to hate on ugly people, because they feel good about themselves.

I think one shouldn't use a facecam necessarily just to have one. Yes I agree it could make you more self confident but then I also think if you are not self confidetn about yourself (and come on we all know Pewdiepie for example is really attractive) people we see that and use that weakness because we all know especially in the gamer world there are really lots of haters.

Sure, one can ignore hate comments but it could demotivate you very easily as well...

Just my two cents
    Check out Video Game Close Up
    Home of Reviews, Analyses and Compilations
  • I feel the only reason you should face cam is if your playing a horror game that way people can watch you cry. If your not playing a horror game I don't recommend it.

As for your self confidence, I feel you. I've got kinda a chubby face so showing my face in videos took a lot of courage for me. Haters are gonna hate and trolls will do anything to get a rise out of you. Just ignore the haters, thats what I do :)
    Come at me Barrels! I am invincible!