Gun Control

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Gun Control

Due to recent events I believe it relevant to include this as a thread and allow others to express their opinions fully without being interrupted. I do ask that things stay in the thread and not drug onto the shoutbox.

Topics may include but are not limited to:
      gun control
      gun ownership
      mental stability and gun control
      crimes dealing with gun ownership
      Boobs Bacon
    • Meh, I might as well give my 2 cents.
      Guns on a practical use are for enjoyment, sport, and self defense.
      I myself own a gun for self defense measures. I have taken all the needed classes and gotten a license to carry it. Sure, getting rid of guns completely seems like a great idea on the surface, but even if they were taken off the market, the black market would be filled with guns of every kind (not just the military grade weapons they have now). So anyone who was really willing to get a gun, would get one regardless of the way of getting it. Also, such things as c-4 and other industrial explosives can be made (in a modified fashion) in the home.
      Why have a gun in self defense? Well, I've actually looked up the U.S. statistics and in a poll taken from registered inmates, more people would have left the victim of the crime alone if they had had a gun pointed at them, even if they themselves were holding the victim down at gunpoint.
      Also, hunting is a huge sport. It makes millions if not billions of dollars in taxes and equipment. The government (at least for sure the American government) can't really afford to lose any income by that means.
      That's just my opinion though.
      Boobs Bacon
    • All I am saying is this:

You try to take my gun.

You gonna have to pry it from my cold dead fingers.

On another note. I can understand having a shotgun or a pistol for self defense, I can understand having a high caliber rifle for hunting, what I can NOT understand is having a fully automatic .223 caliber assault rifle for public use.

The Connecticut shooter had a rifle such as that, the rifle registered under a KINDERGARTNER teacher's name. Why in the FUCK would you have that weapon in the first place? You expecting Al Queda to bust down your door?
    • I do believe that the the first amendment was written on the sole purpose of personal protection. When it was written however M16's didn't exist. I think that any gun should be legal, but only if it has a slow fire rate and a low rate of how many people or things it can go through or harm with a single bullet. Therefore no automatic or machine guns. However handguns such as the .22 caliber should be legal but only to be stored at home for personal protection
    • GoGetA wrote:

All I am saying is this:

You try to take my gun.

You gonna have to pry it from my cold dead fingers.

On another note. I can understand having a shotgun or a pistol for self defense, I can understand having a high caliber rifle for hunting, what I can NOT understand is having a fully automatic .223 caliber assault rifle for public use.

The Connecticut shooter had a rifle such as that, the rifle registered under a KINDERGARTNER teacher's name. Why in the FUCK would you have that weapon in the first place? You expecting Al Queda to bust down your door?
      I know we're friends but I just gotta:

'MURICA

k
    • *sigh* I though this might come up at some point. To be fair, regardless of whether guns are legal or illegal, there's nothing that can be done in terms of preventing such a crime. I mean really... You think something as simple as making guns illegal would prevent gun ownership? Pfft, it only delays the process... From my personal perspective, it's less of the item itself and more the person who has it on their hands. What could be the reason behind their action? Was there something in their mind that influenced them? Was it just an act out of boredom? What exactly?

Well, we don't know. All I know is that whatever made the guy pull the trigger... It was heck of a lot stronger than himself. I only say this because of personal experience. No, I didn't kill anyone in what I did nor did I harm them, but I was arrested because I gave in. I was weak... So yeah, I can tell this person was rather weak... I bet even seeing the children in despair didn't stop him...

That's my view on this

"When life gives you bullets... ME! CORMANO!"
      Visit meh on deviantART and see all my horrible art stuff
      ChronoPinoyX deviantART
    • Hey guys.

I agree with cormano, people would get their weapons in one way or another.
      And I agree a 100 percent with outlander.
      But I don't feel like talking about gun control.
      Everyone wants to see a reason why the shooter, Adam Lanza, did this horrifying thing.
      Everyone wants to blame guns, games or what not.
      Whenever it happens in america people discuss gun control.
      But I can recall grenades in belgium, where guns like such are illegal.
      Or in norway, the infamous Ander Breivik, where even the police doesn't carry guns (if I picked that up right).
      But he had bombs, and assault rifles.
      But people, these men were sick.
      You can't prevent such people from doing this.

I know the world probably wont end anytime soon.
      But sometimes I wish it did.
      These events always manage to make me lose hope in humanity.
      And you can't prevent it.
      These things keep me up at night.
      The pain that is caused by these people is indescribable.
      I want to share with you this video.

I wish it did end.
    • I do really agree with MrvonKals. I would like to raise a point... So Adam Lanza didn't own the guns in any way. His mom owned them. He didn't obtain them himself, there was no mental stability blah blah blah checks when he got the guns because he didn't get them at a store... He got them from his mom.. the issue I see here is his mom just didn't keep the guns from him. Which of course she didn't because she trusted him... shes his mother
    • Well think about this. Weed is illegal (In most states now), and so is smoking under 18. However, most high schoolers will still smoke cigarettes and weed knowing it's illegal. If someone wanted to break they law they can and will. We don't need to ban it because criminals will get it anyways, we just need a better way to detect and control it.
      That (imitating someone you respect) is something you do in order to grow. You can't use it as a disguise to pretend to be someone you are not.-Itachi Uchiha"

• I'm actually glad this thread was started... I was thinking about starting one.

It seems shootings have been recently becoming almost a weekly thing out here - but here's the sad part - it also happens just about everyday. An innocent life is taken on the streets because guns are in the hands of the wrong people. I feel like if we allow the public to have guns, the rules have to be stricter and they should ONLY been in the hands of a responsible person. I feel like if you have children - you shouldn't be allowed to have one. Not only because kids can get their hands on it and go on a killing spree... but because they can KILL THEMSELVES by accident because they were playing with on. It seems like it's too easy to be certified to carry one. I know several people who got their card just for the kicks of it - and it was such a simple process. I don't even see the point.

I understand self defense, I really do - but let's say if we ban public use of guns... what would you be defending yourself against? A Knife? You could easily access the same weapon in your kitchen. Yes, most likely guns will be out in the black market - but that's when the law needs to become more strict and involved.

That's just my two cents.

When I was in high school, my school was on lock down because of a bomb explosion. At the time, they evacuated all of us across the street to a rec center and we had no access to our lockers - and I was in gym at the time so I didn't have my cell phone on me. At the time, I didn't think much of it - no one was hurt - the student was arrested... but I had no contact with my parents, my siblings, my friends... when they finally released us to go home - my mom and dad came running through the rec center doors with so much pain and tears in their eyes because they had no contact with me. They were so scared I was hurt.

So when I think about these shootings at schools, malls, and theaters.... the fact that so many people are DEAD because of one person's mental stability... it brings tears to my eyes because seeing what my parents went through when I was okay ... is nothing compared to what their families and friends are going through because they lost a loved one.

All those kids will never know what it was likes to experience so much that we had the chance to. And it's devastating.
      Scream and be free.
    • You've heard it in the news (here in Murrica) that there should be "meaning discussion"
      on gun control, how about immediate action?! Besides gun control is out of control, the
      streets here are flooded with gunz so it's not possible.

What's the point of banning assault rifles when someone can do as much damage with
      a pistol or 2 just like what happened the other day. A gun is a gun, no matter what type
      of gun it is and any kind of gun is still a deadly weapon.

Some states have "Castle Doctrine" meaning you can use deadly force on an intruder
      that breaks into your home, to me that's the only upside of guns. I remember this
      story about some woman who shot this rapest in the dick who broke into her home,
      I gave her a standing ovation :thumbsup:

• GoGetA wrote:

Klaw I agree that any gun can do the same damage.

But there should be NO reason that an assault rifle can be sold to the public. If a pistol can kill 8 people in a crowd in 6 seconds an assault rifle can kill 30-50 people in a crowd in 5 seconds.

That's true, why should the general public have access to assault rifles?
      There's no good reason. What, you need to hunt a deer wearing kevlar? Nope...

• Hmmm so you all think that making tighter rules will solve the problem then? Let's see... Well, I don't know, I don't exactly have any interest. All I will say is that regardless of boundaries, restrictions, or actions, things like these are impossible to stop completely. We can slow it down and reduce the number of times it occurs but we can never make it stop and never happen again.

If the person had a pencil instead of the gun, he could probably do just as much damage if he was that determined. Like I said before, it's not the weapon, it's the person holding it.

"When life gives you bullets... ME! CORMANO!"
      Visit meh on deviantART and see all my horrible art stuff
      ChronoPinoyX deviantART
    • Guns were made for destruction, simple as that.
      I don't mind people possessing them, really. But it is far too easy to obtain heavy firearms in America. Far too easy. You cannot prevent people from getting their hands on firearms. If they are dedicated to getting a weapon like that, they are going to get it. Tee fact of the matter is, it is up to the user of the weapon. In all of the school shootings, theater shootings, and whatever fucking massacre you wanna discuss, the fact of the matter is there were sociopaths involved. That's where the problems lie. Just before the Connecticut and Theater shooting, each shooter contacted their psychiatrists and were ignored simply because they were "too much trouble". :|
      It sucks that these killers are glorified and gives each side a reason to talk about why gun laws should be strict or loose.
      It can't be fixed by laws and whatnot. Perhaps maybe a psychological exam should be in order. But that "takes too long" in a world that enjoys moving so quickly. So there may not be a solution to it, unfortunately. Makes me sad really.