The Perks Of Online Friends/Relationships

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• I'll be perfectly honest... some of my best memories from when I was younger are from my online friends. Being obsessed with a band boy back in the day, I met five other girls and we created a very popular site in that fandom. The band broke up and it pains me that I only keep in touch with two of the girls - one whom I met in real life, and who I consider a great friend. Online friends have more of an advantage from real life friends for a few reasons - you become friends by getting to know each other (as long as your honest) and they don't judge you based off of how you look. And let's face it - you meet online friends while doing something you love to do - and that right there is thing that will bring you close together.

I'm not against making online friends at all.

As for online relationships, I'm iffy on the subject. Personally, I don't know how I'd feel being in one - or if I'm destined to be in one - but I'm not against the idea. A good friend met her HUSBAND online (I'm proud to say I stood up in their wedding), and look at PewDie... he met Marzia online and now they live together. Personally ... I think it's a lot easier with technology now to prove that you're not a creep. Video chat is a great way. The only thing I can really say is that if you do decide to be in a relationship starting online... be safe... and make sure you're in it for the long run. Long distance relationships take time and trust.

Since I'm new to the boards, I don't have a lot of friends on here - yet - but I'm hoping to =) *brofist*
      Scream and be free.
    • Fucking brilliant mate, fucking brilliant, you understand this well Love Strength xD You're words where inspirational. and Love Strength I know 2 people who met online and ended up getting married too xD they visited eachother every summer, I'm glad it worked out for them.
      Signature not included
    • I get over things a lot easier with people online versus real life. Even if I know what that online person looks like, known them forever, good friends etc...still seem to get over stuff that annoys me easier. But with real people, it seems to get dragged out forever and all that stuff. Then again, I have more fun with people in real world because you can actually do things. So either or, they're still both types of friends.
    • I met my girlfriend online. We have been "officially" in a relationship for 3 years. Actually our 3 year anniversary is coming next month. We see eachother every weekend because we live pretty far away from eachother (about 400km). At first we only spoke online but then we decided that we HAVE to meet, so I took a train to meet her. And I've never regreted it. And when she finishes school, we will move in together.
      So I don't know if I can even call it an online relationship, because we meet every weekend. But we talk online everyday, when we can't see eachother.
      On holidays I'm pretty much always with her.

she makes me so happy. : )

Oh and most of my friends are online friends.. lol.
    • Sharky wrote:

Trusting random people on the internet, and trusting a person you know and love on the internet, are both two different things. :V
      The question here is, if you really love the person or just an fake image he/she created.
      It all bases on trust in the end, but you have no way of really knowing if it's all a lie or not in the end. That's what it's all about, being anonymous. These things are always risky, even in real life, since a person can tell you lies on your first date too, but it's even riskier on the internet. So, if you want this thing to work, the only chance to find out if it can work is taking the risk and visiting your partner - when you break up after that, you at least saved yourself some time of your life that you otherwise would have shared with a person that you don't even love the way you thought you do.
      The problem many people have is that they look on these things from just one side, and ignore all the complex factors that apply here.
    • I consider my online friends better friends than the ones I've met irl. I mean, I've got them all on facebook. The people I met from high school, work, college... but none of them are as awesome as the guys I've met online.
      There's this one kid I know and he's the best. He's always making us bunch laugh on vent/skype, he's always being the pervert of the group and always there if you need a serious talk.
      And to be honest, of all the people I've met irl there's only 1 person that I can really call my best friend...

So, to answer these questions...

Do you have online friends/an online relationship?
      A bunch of them, yes. Heck, I even met my boyfriend via gaming. We met 3 weeks after we talked to each other non stop and we've been together ever since. It's a 'long distance' relationship. Well... it takes us 1 hour by train to be together, so I don't know if it's THAT long distance though. We see each other every 2/3 weeks for either 2-3 days.

If yes, what advice do you have for others
      Do I even have to give advice? If you're meant to be friends, it will all work out anyway! Imo, it's the same with rl friends. Just.. online. :/
      If you've got the same interests and stuff. As for an online relationship... Don't sext. Don't send pictures of yourself! (Unless they're of your face~ xD)
      Meet up with each other if you can. If you're scared, bring a friend or go to a crowded public place for the first time you'll meet up.

What's your favorite moment with an online friend
      Being on vent/skype and doing things together, really. Playing games together, talking, having fun in general.

What upsets you about having an online relationship or friend?
      That I can't see them in person. We've got plans to meet at gamescom 2013 though. So that's a huge plus for me! :D

And Who are your online friends?
      Ehh, they're not on this forum. But still. It's Jun and Chaud. c:
    • Yes i do have both online friends and a relationship of sorts too.

It all started at november 10(so it's 4 months now).It was an eavening when i was kind of bored.Somehow i saw this thingy pop-up.That was a link to the infamous(in my country)onlychat.com(here-onlychat.lv).So i passed a few people here and there.Then i found someone cool.Usualy the texting there starts with b/g(boy/girl)so there is a lot of...well people looking for...things...

So yea i found someone and we started chatting about stuff.Food,cars,clothes,food again and so on.Then we(after an hour or so) found out that we are of the opposite gender(me a guy and her a girl)

Then we added each other on draugiem.lv(it's like or national facebook) and started chatting every day like 2-4 hours a day.It turned out that she was well...awesome.And she was very smart...like i am supersmart in my class but she was...boom.

We chatted about all the possible things there are from poetry and religion to racing and cosmetics(goddamn she made me speak of that :D)

It continued like that for 2 months till the New-year.Then her internet made like beep and said:"screw you me not working today"And since then "our evenings" are limited to only 1 day per week.But sometimes we miss that too because yeah we are pretty pressed by the exams of 9th grade in Latvia and the competitions we are in(like maths english and chemistry(i totaly failed that one :D))

The realy bull...bad thing there is is the distance.Well it's not that big for europe(150 km. only) but there are no trains/buses between our cities.The closest one is 20 km. away(and it goes off at 5AM) and there is only one back of course(in more acceptable time 11 AM)

So as you might had understood we have not met yet but we are going to meet after 1,5 weeks in a math competition(of the whole country :))And yeah.I am pretty nervous about that day.Can anyone give me some advices cuz yea...I realy(like RRREEEAAALLLYYY) hope i won't screw that one day up.

Hope you read through my ramblings(i hope i spelled that right) and luck with ypour online stuff.
      Cheers and bears...that was kind of awkward.But anyway.
      With love and hopes-Wilk
    • Online > Irl

BUT it would be best to meetup with some online friends.

why do I prefer online friends? well there is a certain amount of being anonymous to someone else and therefore cane even feel more comfortable compared to irl friends. I have been bullied and massively being used on my school and learned that most of my 'friends' werent.even my.friends, as they just merely misused my kindness and capabilities, BUT it also showed who my real friends are and I cherish them, believe me , counter doesnt go higher than 4.

So yeah being misused/bullied made me kinda socially insecure and basically screwed my life over (including education). but yeah , I try to keep optimistic , although its hard to do so.

• The difference ive found when making friends irl and online is that people online are less quick to form an opinion on you and will attempt to get to know you to some extent.

I have a close group of friends who ive known since i was 11, but forming friendships with people outside of that has never been easy for me as I really struggle to talk to new people, and people often take my shyness as an unwillingness to try. Ive got better with it over the years, but I still currently find myself at a point where im at university and I havent really made any friends on my course nor branched out much with the people I live with.

Now to neatly link this in to online friends..

I was a huge WoW player for many years, and the friendships I made with people on there were often what got me through shitty days at school, because I never felt judged. I can happily deal with my lack of friends around me at university because I have an amazing friend who I met online that is around and seems to enjoy my company as much as i do hers. Ive always tried to look at it that rather than leaving an empty room to go talk to people at class, I leave a class to go talk to people at home.

Online friends provide that outside perspective you sometimes need to help you deal with situations, and help you escape from what can sometimes be shitty surroundings. GO ONLINE FRIENDS.
      Lets Play Episodes Every Monday - Friday at VexPlaysThis

• I have quite a few online friends, their all fun in their own way, but I find it a-lot easier to talk to people online rather than face-to-face. I would like to meet them one day :) Have some fun irl.

My favorite moment with an online friend, its quite hard to choose but its usually when we're playing games together, we end up doing something stupid that we will laugh at for a while. For example playing left 4 dead 2 and killing the jockie with the gnome, that made me and my friend laugh for hours =].

I've had online relationships and one ended not too long ago, but its not driven me off the idea of an online relationship, it was quite exciting the first time that we met. ^^ I'd like to think that there's someone somewhere for me :)
    • There are pros and cons to both

Pros
      + Anonymity, it is easier to be yourself and speak your mind
      + Convenience, it's easier to just jump online write something than to get up and make time to meet up. If you travel a lot, this is important.
      + Easier, you don't have to worry about your clothes, there is more time to formulate responses, there are less factors to focus on

Cons
      - Limitations, in terms of outlets of interaction. You can't hang out at a coffee shop, or go to a concert, etc. without spending large amount of money for transportation
      - Easier to be disingenuous, When you meet someone in person, you can see their body language, their facial reactions, or how they react to situations not available online (with some exception not fully but partially, i.e. skype)

For me, the time I spent in Tokyo, wandering around with my friends, exploring, I wouldn't give that up for anything. It's moments like that that empower me to seek more times like that. I am not saying you can't have memorable moments like that online, but the full impact and intensity of those moments is limited by the medium I think. In my experience though, if I didn't have the internet and the ability to interact at this time in my life, I would probably go crazy.

There's a lot of factors to think about though when it comes to irl vs. online.

Wow, I think I completely missed answering the initial questions... Or did I? :/
      “Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me: I lift my lamp beside the golden door.” - Quote on Statue of Liberty