Thinking about what happens when you're dead is mindfuck

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• Thinking about what happens when you're dead is mindfuck

Well, I'm not Christian nor do I have any other religion, but I do wonder what happens when we die. When we die, our brain doesn't work and our body is just like an ordinary object that can't live. Of course we wouldn't be able to ''see'' anything because we're dead, and naturally you'd think all you would ''see''' is blackness. But since you can't see, well.. wut.
    It's just really strange when you think about it. Sure, you can say ''you don't see anything because you can't see''
    however, that's not a direct answer, because if you think about it, if you're 100% blind then I think you'd see blackness, not sure though.. ugh. mindfuck.
    Anyone have theories? Please don't say ''heaven'' or any religious things, just something that makes sense.
    H-h-h-how's it going bros? My name is Peeeeewdiepieeee! ~PewDiePie
  • My point of view: When life is over it's over. Nothing you can do, you're just there lying down or whatever and you won't exist anymore as a person but maybe in something else like the texts you wrote or arts/paper work you signed (I hope thats not too religious or some shit like that, actually not religious at all)
    Amnesia Custom Stories , Home, Dead Space, Amnesia: Machine for pigs. :love:
    Silly/Weird/Scary Moments Montage!
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T56PqxhzkqM&list=UU2_yBml3EPqXV3ml_TmFQhA&index=1[/youtube]

Silly/Weird/Scary Moments Montage #2
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd9_kZGf-3s[/youtube]
  • I too have a feeling that it is over when it is over. Though I have always had the niggling feeling in the back of my mind that maybe we are reincarnated in someway. Obviously not in some Karmaic religious way but that when we die we basically just come into the world as someone/something else. Obviously you wouldn't remember anything because that past life is dead and over. It is hard to explain. Hmmmm. It is kind of like having a clean slate of consciousness as if pressing the reset button but you are now someone completely different.
    There is always time for muffins.
  • Meh.. Naikev, that answer doesn't really do it, I mean, it's just the same ordinary thing everyone else says. you're just dead, which is kinda vague. What you said about text is kinda.. strange, but whatever floats your boat I guess.
    Noir, that's an interesting fact, and maybe that's true. That would be kinda cool I guess. I wish it would be like lucid dreams when you die. You would be able to do everything you could and have automatic 100% control. Imagine if that was what would happen.
    H-h-h-how's it going bros? My name is Peeeeewdiepieeee! ~PewDiePie
  • Nice story about death: The Egg

Anyways, when you die your brain "disables" - the electric pulses and chemical reaction don't happen anymore. Therefor your mind isn't existent anymore, or well, it doesn't work anymore. As far as I am informed the connection you built during your life are still existent, so theoratically you could still remember a lot if you would reincarnate with the same brain and no damage to it.

Wikipedia:
    Death is the permanent cessation of all biological functions that sustain a living organism. Phenomena which commonly bring about death include biological aging (senescence), predation, malnutrition, disease, suicide, murder and accidents or trauma resulting in terminal injury. Bodies of living organisms begin to decompose shortly after death.

You can also read more about different "afterlife" theories here.
  • Noirproxy wrote:

I too have a feeling that it is over when it is over. Though I have always had the niggling feeling in the back of my mind that maybe we are reincarnated in someway. Obviously not in some Karmaic religious way but that when we die we basically just come into the world as someone/something else. Obviously you wouldn't remember anything because that past life is dead and over. It is hard to explain. Hmmmm. It is kind of like having a clean slate of consciousness as if pressing the reset button but you are now someone completely different.

That's my theory too :P Its more something I HOPE would happen when we die than actually believe. Coming back as a new person would be awesome, cause frankly, I'm afraid of the other theories out there (like being an unmoving, non-living thing laying in darkness for the rest of eternity D:) Plus it means never actually dying!
  • I got this crazy idea... Maybe when you die and if your son or someone in your family continues (you know makes kids) maybe decades later you are born as grand, grand grand son/daughter (is that how you say it) so basicly you will be born again into your family well atleast in theory.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T56PqxhzkqM&list=UU2_yBml3EPqXV3ml_TmFQhA&index=1[/youtube]

• Naikey wrote:

I got this crazy idea... Maybe when you die and if your son or someone in your family continues (you know makes kids) maybe decades later you are born as grand, grand grand son/daughter (is that how you say it) so basicly you will be born again into your family well atleast in theory.

That is actually quite an interesting idea. The funny thing about all these theorys is that we have to die first for any hope of them happening. As the thread title states it is quite a mindfuck and it is unusual in a psychological sense why mass rioting isn't going around the world because we know that some day we will all die. I think in a way religion has helped in that aspect. While I am not religious myself, I can see how many have benefited from the belief that when they pass on, they will be reborn into some golden paradise. I think that it is also why people don't freak out from the fact that we are sitting on a tiny planet within a black neverending space that consists of hundreds of thousands of other planets that may actually have life on them. Same with trying to understand the meaning of maybe their being a God. We just can't comprehend it, it gives us a headache in a way because the possibilities are limitless. Our mind set though puts us in a state that in some way accepts it, we go on with our daily life without really thinking too deeply about it.

When going to cover my rabbit up for the night and the stars were out, I have sometimes just stood there for a brief moment and looked up. I have within that small section of time tried to understand the possibilites that are out there. Will we as a civilisation ever unlock the secrets of the universe? The secrets of life and death? Probably not. But the idea of these possibilities as I said are just so massive, so limitless that we just can't comprehend them in the first place. Now I just hope we discover some form of mass effect relay so I can party with Garrus before...you know...kicking the bucket.
    There is always time for muffins.
  • Personally, I think we just go to another place and live another life and the cycle continues. Kind of like how we have seasons in nature, things tend to die around autumn and winter but life starts and carries on again in Spring and Summer. If I ever get a near death experience, I will let you know what happens. XD
  • In biologist point of view death is something that we need to achieve life, so my theory has something into it. Well I don't know if this makes too much sense but there is quite many perspectives you can look into this, if we have a little belief and science mixed we can find many interesting theories with them. But yeah, keep posts coming! Talking about this kind of philosophy makes me feel smart xD

• I agree with Noir, I think that when you die, you will be "reincarnated" (not in a religious way) into something or someone else in the universe, you could be some kind of alien, animal, organism, or some other type of "thing" we have not discovered yet. The universe is infinite, therefore the possibilities are endless, you would not remember anything of course, kind of mind boggling if you think about it
  • Well I think there are 2 ways:
    1: if you die like really suddenly, the brain is not prepared you won't experience anything at all. you won't feel, you won't see anything,
    2.: if you die normally, your brain might start "dreaming" but instead of working for like 7 seconds, it will work for like 8 minutes, and most ppl
    think that the brain shows you, your own memory. This is where the "filming your own life before dying" theory comes from.
    I think the life will go on, when we die anyway. You can see/hear ppl dying everyday, and you know it won't change anything.
    I just can't believe in reincarnation, nor anything like it... and I don't want to lie to myself just to make myself "safer".
    <--- Oh, you hate me son?
  • Since human body products the energy to function (and energy cannot disappear) it is some kind of a soul. Energy never just vanishes, so it is somewhere in some form. I had a bit of experience with supernatural things and I can say there is "something" after we die. I am strongly convinced that after death we start living in next dimension - a higher state of energy.

Just to be clear - I am not very religious person. I view myself as a scientist and I never say things I am not sure about.

PS. Sorry for my English - it's not my first language so it's difficult to explain my point of view on that matter. I hope you understood me anyway.

• Hmm i think that after you die you will get reincarnated(not in religious way) as somebody that knows everything i mean the universe the planets , everything and you can chose what you want to be next or something alike or maybe you born on other planet i really dont know :)) hope you guys excuse my grammar.. im kinda tired plus i'm not from a country where english is 1st language :D
    Tell me what you think about my theory(if you understood something from it :D)
    "Guitars are like women.You'll never get them totally right."-Slash
  • I always tell everyone: "We will all see what happens someday." :P

(those who now wanna say "nothing happens, it's darkness" well, I don't care since if it's that, I won't be suffering from it. If it's "nothing" then it is nothing. lol.)

But am I excited to see what happens? Yes, yes I am. I'm scared of death like any other person but I have my own beliefs what happens... but of course it's not 100%. Someday I'll see.