[Petition][Silent Hills] Bringing Team Silent members back

The forums have been archived. Please read this thread for more information.

• [Petition][Silent Hills] Bringing Team Silent members back

I'm pretty sure you've already heard of Silent Hills, a survival horror game that's being developed by Kojima Productions.

I know P.T. is scary and all, BUT it really doesn't feel (completely) like a Silent Hill game, so a random guy, supported by a considerable amount of fans, started a petition to bring three of the masterminds behind the first three games.

There are exactly two Team Silent Members working for Kojima (Suguru Murakoshi and Kazuhide Nakazawa), but Hiroyuki Owaku (scenario writer of Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3, co-writer for Silent Hill), Masahiro Ito (background and creature designer of Silent Hill, art director and creature designer of Silent Hill 2 andSilent Hill 3) and Akira Yamaoka (sound director, producer of Silent Hill 3 and Silent Hill 4) are on their own, working on separate projects, "waiting" to be involved in a new Silent Hill game.

It's a shame that these three Got-tier developers/designers ended up making cellphone games or drawing covers. These guys are detail maniacs, and they showed us (with the rest of the team ofc) that videogames are art and can have a big impact on people, maybe even more than movies or books.

The Silent Hill franchise got kicked in the stomach non-stop the last years, and I'm really sad because people don't know how awesome the first games were. Kojima is an amazing developer/writer/designer, and I believe he's capable of returning SH to it's golden days, but he won't be able to do it without these guys.

If you're a Silent Hill fan, I think you should sign this petition. There's a small chance we can make this happen, but I'm optimistic about it.

PETITION LINK:

Petition | Bring Hiroyuki Owaku Akira Yamaoka and Mashahiro Ito as the CORE CREATIVE TEAM onboard for 'Silent Hills'. | Change.org

(my a key doesn't work and typing this was a pain in the ass)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Silence ().

• Wade D McGinnis wrote:

While having the main team would be nice, I am curious to see what Del Toro and Kojima do on their own.

1- I'll be honest, I think Kojima doesn't know a thing about SH, and the franchise has a back story that ties every game, and nobody seems to know about it .
      2- Del Toro said that the last thing he does when he has to create creatures or characters is looking at other people's work, he may be designing friggin zombies that don't have any meaning at all
      3- Owaku IS Silent Hill
    • Not only that, Kojima is a man who really wants to make a movie. In fact, he watches a LOT of western films, and has said that he wants to be a film director.
      Hopefully he won't "hollywood" it. The P.T. Teaser seemed "Silent Hill-y" enough excluding scary jumpscare ghost lady.

Also I really doubt this will happen, what is Team Silent doing nowadays anyway?

colonel, we managed to avoid drowning!
    • Okuu wrote:

Wade D McGinnis wrote:

While having the main team would be nice, I am curious to see what Del Toro and Kojima do on their own.

No faith in Del Toro, just look what happened to Mama.

Personally I enjoyed the adaptation of Mama. The movie captured the scares and the humor of the short film. However the script, written and directed by the original creators, could have had a few more revisions to either make a few details more obscure to let fans decide or connect them to give fluidity.
    • Silence wrote:

Wade D McGinnis wrote:

1- I'll be honest, I think Kojima doesn't know a thing about SH, and the franchise has a back story that ties every game, and nobody seems to know about it .
      2- Del Toro said that the last thing he does when he has to create creatures or characters is looking at other people's work, he may be designing friggin zombies that don't have any meaning at all
      3- Owaku IS Silent Hill

The problem with PT is we do not know if this is the tone, perspective, and method the new SH will have. The goal of Kojima is to "shit your pants" but how they want to go about that is also vague.

Not sure about number two. Drawing inspiration from other's work does help but yes, the monsters need to be a living story in their own right.

Having the original writer would be a huge asset. Just please add more fear of the unknown instead of monsters.
    • Okuu wrote:

I just hope that the game won't be a total (jump)scare fest, but I sadly think that it's bound to happen with the current horror game industry. :/

The demo made me confident that this will be a great game. It showed that they could create a frightening and mysterious atmosphere without having to squeeze in too much jump scares. The demo didn't really have anything to do with the 'real' game however, but it was a teaser and if that's some of the moments we can expect, then I'll probably like the game.

Wade D McGinnis wrote:

Silence wrote:

Wade D McGinnis wrote:

3- Owaku IS Silent Hill

The problem with PT is we do not know if this is the tone, perspective, and method the new SH will have. The goal of Kojima is to "shit your pants" but how they want to go about that is also vague. Not sure about number two. Drawing inspiration from other's work does help but yes, the monsters need to be a living story in their own right. Having the original writer would be a huge asset. Just please add more fear of the unknown instead of monsters.

Now I'm going to sound overly confident and optimistic, unlike previous replies.
      A story tied to the previous games won't be a huge matter as it is pretty easy to implement. It's just simply giving hints of the previous games to make it similar, by using the similar kind of monsters, background and the feeling of unawareness/same spiritual way as previous SH. I don't think you need to worry much about that, they wouldn't call it Silent Hills if they didn't want to make this a sequel to the previous Silent Hill-games and if they accidentally do fail at making it similar, then just think of the game as something else. The title does not matter, it is the content that matter.
      What to expect is new, great, fresh ideas from Del Toro, but I do confess that am a little bit worried about what Hideo Kojima will come up with. It'll be a interesting combination anyway. Don't be overly conservative. A previous silent hill game in a luxury package isn't as funny as a new silent hill game, right?